Monday, December 20, 2010

Merry Christmas Week

Saying farewell to all the returning missionaries this weekend -- bye to Elder King!
Dear Everyone,
Hey I hope you are all excited for Christmas! I am because I get to talk to you guys on Saturday!!! Ya!!! Okay so we might have a little problem because we have a new phone line and so we can't make international calls, but I talked with one of my investigators who works for the phone company and he said that we can most likely receive international calls. So we need to check and make sure before Saturday. So what I was thinking is that maybe on Wednesday you can try calling our house in the morning before 10 a.m. and see if it works. If it doesn't work then email me and I will check my email on Wednesday in the afternoon! This is how most missionaries talk to their parents -- they give them the phone number and you call us. Hope this works out.
So I haven't written a good letter for awhile, sorry. So a couple weeks ago was the one month check-up where the trainers and their companions have an activity with President and the AP´s. For part of it, we got to drive up one of the mountains so that we could see the whole Central San Jose valley. It was really cool and while we were up there President asked us what we could see. The general consenses (don't know if I spelled that right) is that we have a lot of work to do and that there are tons of people and families waiting for us to talk to them and share the gospel. While we were up there, I was also thinking about the temple because the Central Valley is really big and from where we were we couldn't see the temple and so there is pletty of space and there are plenty of people...we just need to find them and teach them. And in a few years there could be enough members to build another temple here. So that was a pretty cool activity and the food afterwards was amazing.
So this month we have been working to find new investigators that can get baptized in January. We have 2 baptismal goals set right now for January. The first is Isabel, she is the mother of a recent convert and we have been working with her for a while. She would have already been baptized, but she went to Nicaragua to spend Christmas with the family. Also we have German and he has a goal for January too. He just needs to come to church and get married. Also we have found some new families to teach and so we will see how they progress.
This past weekend was kind of sad because Elder King finished the mission and is now in his house! Also Elder Sorensen finished too! Alot of my friends are leaving and now from the original cool group, I just have my group who came with me and the group that came before me (Elder Sirrine, in particular). So it's kinda sad and I almost cried when I said good-bye to Spender King (he is no longer an Elder). Then Saturday morning he called me while he was in the airport. He has been my favorite companion so far in the mission and I am going to miss him a lot.
So I hope you all have an awesome week and I´ll talk to you on Christmas Day!!
Love Elder Smith
P.S. Hermano Jimenez loved the book about the Dominican Republic and has actually found some people that he knows in the book. Also, Arturo loved the quad. scriptures that you sent and almost started to cry when I gave it to him. We have also bought small presents for some investigators and members for Christmas.