Monday, July 4, 2011

I Love America!

BBQing dogs on P-day!
Dear Family,
Hey, today is the 4th of July. Last year I didn’t do anything because it was a Sunday and my comp was from Honduras so he didn’t really care. But this year my comp is a gringo and I have cool people in my district so we are going to have an awesome party!!!!! We are going to have a BBQ, play some basketball, and watch the RM!!
So this week was pretty good. I have had to travel a lot because in the Zona Sur everything is really spaced out and so it takes time to travel and its kind of expensive. On Thursday I went to Rio Claro with Elder Rosales, one of the ZLs. We worked with the Sisters there, Hermana Nava and Carcamo. We had some really neat experiences with them. One thing we taught them was how to challenge people to be baptized in the contacts and we contacted some really cool families. The reason we want to challenge in the contact is because that is basically our purpose as missionaries, to invite others to come unto Christ and be baptized and so in order to do that we need to focus on the people and more importantly, on those families that are willing to accept Christ and be baptized. Right now the mission is really focused on doing all we can to complete our weekly baptism goals. Before we were just focused on the monthly goal, but what happened was that everyone just waited until the last week of each month and so we had to do a lot of running around that last week. Now if we focus on our weekly goals every week than we are going to have baptisms every week for the whole month!
Yesterday for Fast Sunday, we had 4 investigators at church, Maritza, Gerardina, Adrian and Ivan and two of his kids. It was a very interesting testimony meeting because only 4 people got up to share their testimonies—me, my comp, and two members. There was a lot of silence, but it was good. I shared my testimony about the prophet Joseph Smith because last Monday was the 167th anniversary of his martyrdom. 
I hope you all have an awesome week and I love you all so much!!!!! Have a fun 4th of July!!!!! Nick should have fun because he will be able to hear what happens at the Stadium of Fire program at the BYU stadium!!!!!!!  Love Elder Smith!!!!!!!!!!!