Monday, May 24, 2010

Baptisms and Earthquake

An Awesome Zone!

Hello Everyone!!! Not much has happened this week (HaHa)--we just had a couple baptisms, I felt my first earthquake, I have a new companion, and I got kissed.

So this week has been pretty good. Two of our investigators, Natalia and Sharon Castro Calderon, were baptized on Saturday and the confirmed on Sunday. We are actually teaching their whole family because they are less active. It's actually a cool story how we found them. We contacted this one guy in the street and then went to his house and taught him. After we finished the lesson we decided to knock the rest of the doors on the street. Well, at one of the houses, the door was open and we looked inside, and a girl was sitting on the couch. When she saw us she turned toward the kitchen and said, "Mom the Elders are here". Haha--We were a little shocked and we asked the girl how she knew us and she said that she actually is a member. Her name is Raquel and she is 14 years old. The mother's name is Magda and she has had some problems that we are helping her with. The other daughters that we baptized are Natalia, 11 years old, and Sharon, 10 years old.

We are also working with one of the sisters of Magda who is a member also. Her name is Aleska and she is 16 years old. So yeah, I baptized Natalia and Elder Benitez baptized Sharon. We were supposed to have another baptism with Adrian. We had his interview on Friday night and he was excited and then when we called his house in the morning and nobody answered. We called all afternoon and then stopped by the house right before the baptism and no one was home. We still don't know what happend and will be going by his home tomorrow.

So there was an earthquake here this week. The epicenter was far from where I am. We were in the middle of teaching a lesson and all of a sudden the ground started to shake and it was pretty cool. We only felt it for about 10 seconds and we didn't feel it quite as strong as other places. It was the first earthquake that I've ever felt in my entire life.

So about the "I got kissed" story. Well, we are teaching this one family about the Book of Mormon which they accepted quite nicely. The daughter who is 15 years old had to leave early and as she was leaving I put my hand out for her to shake it. Well, she shook it and as she shook it she bent down, 'cause I was sitting, and gave me a kiss on the cheek. Haha it was funny, but that is the culture here. Then she went to do the same to Elder Benitez but he wasn't caught off guard and had enough time to explain we can't kiss girls as missionaries. Haha it was funny.

So today was changes and Elder Benitez is now gone. I learned a lot from him (AKA a lot of patience--Haha!). Well, I now have a new companion and his name is Elder Vallejo and he is from Hondurous. He has 9 months in the mission and seems like a good guy. He also speaks fluent English which is a bonus! So I hope you all have a good week and I hope you all have fun as school ends. I love you all!!!!!!! Elder Smith