Monday, August 23, 2010

I'm Assigned Two New Areas: Pavas and Bri Bri

Elder Smith on P-day with The Colonel himself! (ha ha)
Dear Everyone!
I hope you all had an excellent week and I hope your all excited to start another year of school. This week has been super awesome and a ton has happened. I am in Pavas and Bri Bri--yes I have two areas and two wards so we have a lot of work to do especially on Sundays. We are basically in church from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. My new area is right by San Jose by the new stadium they are building. I can actually see my old area, San Rafael, from where I am assigned. My new companion, Elder King, is super awesome and we are working super hard together. He is from Jackson Hole,  Wyoming and has 20 months in the mission. He is super funny and we have spent the whole week laughing.
This coming Saturday we are looking at a possibility of 6 baptisms. First we have Michael, who is 18, and his sister Paula, who is 10. They are both super cool, but Michael is one of those kind of rebellious kids, but he really wants to change and the only problems are his friends, but we are working super hard with him and he got super excited when he found out his older brother could baptize him, he didnt know that before. Then we have Melvin and Louis who are two teens and brothers of a lady who got baptized right before I got here. Then we have Louis Enrique who is a 10 year old of a menos activo that we have reactivated. Then we have Arturo who before I got here stopped smoking, drinking and is going to get married to his girlfriend who is a member. I have to tell you about a crazy story that happened yesterday with him. Well he didn't come to church and Elder King was way worried cause he hasn't missed church for a while and he told us on Saturday that he was going to come. So we went over to his house after church and he told us that he got into a big fight with Wendy, his girlfriend. To make a really long story short, there are some problems with Wendy´s sister and she has some problem with Arturo. Also Wendy has been getting mad at Arturo because she hasn't  seen the wedding rings. Well we sat and listend to them for like an hour and Wendy kept bringing up the fact that she hasn't seen the wedding rings and so she´s not sure that they exsist. Then we were like, "Wendy you don't even need wedding rings to get married because the rings are just a symbol that your married." So Wendy was like, "What I thought you needed the rings to get married." So yeah, luckily we figured that problem out and got it fixed because Arturo was like ready to almost not get baptized. It is funny to think about how the smallest thing can ruin a relasionship. Also goes to show just how hard El Diablo is working. Everythings cool now and Arturo is ready to get married and baptized.
Last Wednesday, the district leaders from our zone had a capacitation (training session) with President Galvez. I'm not a DL but President asked me to come. In the capacitation, President taught us a ton of stuff. It's basically a new way of teaching investigators by asking questions, listening, and teaching to their needs. The new motto is "Teach persons, not lessons." Also there are new PMG movies that we watched. This new way of teaching is really awesome and it´s so more effective. Elder King and I have been using it and we have had some really awesome lessons.
On Thursday, we had interviews with President Galvez. My interview went really well and he said my Spanish is very good. I can basically understand everything and I can talk pretty well too. I actually like talking in Spanish, but Elder King and I talk in English because it's just better. Also the American Embassy is in our area, I want to go in so that I can step on Americal soil again.
My new comp., Elder King!
So on like Friday we were knocking doors and we walked by this house with all these banners on it. There is this new religion trend that is getting big here in Costa Rica. There is a guy who calls himself Jesus Hombre, (I don't know if you´ve heard about him) but he has started this crazy religion. We talked to the lady who lived in this banner-covered house and basically they do not believe in repentance. They believe that when Jesus died on the cross he destroyed the devil and wipped out all sin, so you can basically to anything you want and you will still be saved. Also they have 666 tattoos. This one lady had like 3 or 4 of them on her body. So they believe this Jesus guy is going to destroy the Vatican and then be transfigured and eveybody will be saved. Its a pretty messed up religion and the lady told us that this Jesus Hombre has prophised that something big is going to happen on September 3 so keep a watch out for that. He is basically and Anti-christ and its a messed up church. That's about it for this week and I hope this week is just as good as last week. I love you all and hope you have and awesome first week at school. Nick have fun at college. Love Anthony Smith