Monday, October 4, 2010

Senior Companion and District Leader

Dear Everyone,
So I hope you all had a good week and hope you all loved General Conference. It was very good and went by too fast. It´s funny that before the mission I could barely watch a full session and in the mission I feel like they go by too fast. Oh well only 6 more months until the next one. Just think I only have 2 more General Conferences to go in the mission, 2 more times to call home and one more Christmas to miss. It´s crazy how fast time is flying by down here, but I like it.
So last week Elder King had changes. It was sad, because he is the coolest, funniest missionary in Costa Rica and I think it was one of the best 6 weeks of my entire life. I'm going to miss him a lot. Well that being said, my new companion is Elder Menendez. He is from El Salvador and has 8 months in the mission. Finally I have a companion who is younger than me and finally I am senior companion. Also I am now District Leader YAY!!! Finally I have some responsability in the mission and actually I love it.
This week was really awesome! On Friday I did divisions with Elder Sangster from my MTC group. He is now my Zone Leader. It was really fun to work with him for a day and even cooler to see how much we have both progresed as missionaries since the MTC. We visited a lady we are teaching named Scarlet. She has 4 kids and no job. They are a cool family and Elder Sangster and I put a baptismal goal with them for the 23rd of October. Also today we bought some food for them that we are going to take over tomorrow. They have also come to church the past two weeks so they are progressing nicely.
Saturday and Sunday were really awesome because it was general conference. I didn't have one favorite talk because I liked pretty much liked all of them. I'm going to download them all so that I can listen to them for the next 6 months. Another reason why conference was so cool is because I got to watch it in English with a bunch of cool missionaries. Elder Sirrine is in my zone again and so we got to watch conference together again and then during one of the breaks we went to KFC and got the Kentucky double, that is our conference tradition.
So other than that not much happened because Elder King spent the first of last week saying good-bye to the people here and then on Wednesday I got my new companion. Oh, there is an Elder Stevens who just came in this change. He came up to me and asked if I was from Centerville and apparantly I played baseball with him and Brandon Bednar. I didn't recognize him at first but then I remembered. So that was really cool! I kind of feel bad for the new missionaries in my zone cuase they don't understand any spanish and I can totally remember when I was like that. Now I have no problems with understanding or speaking the language. Ocasionally I´ll hear a word that I don't understand, but I just look it up and then I understand it.
Well this week is going to be very busy, because tomorrow and Wednesday I have a meeting with President Galvez along with all the other DL´s and trainers. Also I have to go to the other area in my district to get to know their investigators that have a baptismal goal.
I love you all and hope you have an awesome week!
Love Elder Smith
P.S. Mom I´ll be on the lookout for the package. I don't know how long it will take to get here, but Elder Wittier, from my MTC district, is one of the secrataries and so I´ll just call him and ask if any packages have come for me and then I´ll go to the office and pick it up. Also I still don't know where I want to go to college. I´ve got friends going to both BYU and U of U and I still have no idea what I want to study. I still think that it would be fun to play lacrosse and I have been working out every day so that I can come home and really start working out to get in great shape. So still don't know yet and I'm glad I still have a year to think about it.
Love Ya´ll!! Oh ya this week I have offically started listening to Christmas music!