Monday, March 28, 2011

What Happens When You Forget to Pay Utilities!

P-day activity, playing futobal

Dear Family,  Hey so I’m so glad to hear that you are all doing fine and that things are going well back at home! Everyday since the beginning of the mission I have prayed for you all and I’m so glad that in the past 16 months everyone has been kept safe. (Nick don’t do anything stupid to screw that up) Ha-ha!! Well Spencer I’m glad to hear that lacrosse is going well. Make sure you can get healed up, because it’s better that you sit out a few games as a sophomore than have to sit out a whole season as a junior or senior. Julia thanks for the letter and I’m glad to hear that you are starting to be able to control your crying ha-ha! Lets see if you can hold it in at the airport when I get home.... doubt it ha-ha! Nick make sure you spend as much time on your homework as you do with your girlfriend, cause she probably won’t even wait for you . . . JK-ing!
This week was super fun and a ton of stuff happened. First we did divisions almost every day this week. Tuesday, I was in Siquirres, Wednesday I was in Cariari, and Thursday and Friday my companion was in Limon. In total, I spent about 10 hours on buses, but luckily all the buses in this part of Costa Rica are the really nice charter buses. 
Tuesday, I was with Elder Maylett in Siquirres and we basically spent the whole day traveling to another area to do and interview, but it was still fun being with him.
Wednesday, I was with Elder Gutierrez in Cariari so that I could do the interview for a guy name Hector, whose wife got baptized like 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately they are probably going to get divorced, cause both of them have made some mistakes in the past, but they are going to try and work things out now. 
Then on Thursday, we traveled down to Limon so that I could do an interview for a guy who only speaks Patua, it’s like a mix between English, French and some other language, but I could understand everything he said. Well, we ended up not doing the interview cause he still had some doubts about the church being the only true church and about being baptized again, cause he was baptized in the Catholic Church. So Elder Norr and I taught a super bomb lesson in English and I think it was the first legit lesson that I have taught in the English language here in Costa Rica. Afterwards Elder Norr and I returned back to Guapiles, a 2 and a half hour bus ride and spent Thursday night and Friday on division. I love Elder Norr and it brought back memories of our days in Pavas!
Oh and this past week we lived like pioneers, cause we didn’t pay for our water and electricity and so it got shut off. So we showered in member’s homes and Thursday night they turned the water back on and we are still without electricity until tomorrow and so we have been using candles and flashlights. That’s the last time I will forget to pay the utilities, cause it sucks. I think Saturday night was the worst night of both the mission and I think my life . . . it was super hot and we got bit by a ton of mosquitoes. We couldn’t turn on the fan cause we had no electricity, when I tried to use my blanket it was too hot to sleep and when I didn’t use the blanket, I got bit a ton and my body was itching like crazy. So I was miserable the whole night and so next month I’m going to buy some bug spray. Oh and the past couple of days, my companion has been kind of sick and last night he couldn’t stand it anymore so we went to the hospital. We were there for like 3 hours and I was left on my own for the whole time, so that was kind of weird, but enjoyable. He has some stomach problem and has to now watch his diet aka no more spicy stuff, which burns cause he’s a Mexican and they love spiciness.
So today for P-day I had to go to San Jose for Zone Council and it was super awesome, because as a zone we met our goal so I got to report that to President!!!! Also we learned some really cool stuff from President, I love him--he is so awesome and he is definately an inspired man of God! Also we got fed super good--ribs, pasta, salad, cake and ice cream. Also I got to hang out with all my Zone Leader friends, which is always super nice!
So this week was fun and I’m super excited for the month of April, because one, General Conference is this week! Yeah!! Party!!! And two, Elder Richard G. Hinckley is coming the second week of April and so we are going to have a conference with him!!!!!!
Well I love you all and I can’t wait to see you all in approximately 20,304,000 seconds. Ha-ha, I’m not really counting but I did calculate this countdown last night while I was waiting for my companion at the hospital. Stay safe!!!!!!!! Love Elder Smith