Monday, May 9, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Dear Family and Friends,
I’m so glad that I got to talk with all of you yesterday I really enjoyed it and it gave me lots of animo (encouragement) to work hard for the next 6 months. So yesterday we had a super awesome Stake Conference here in Guapiles. President Galvez and his wife came and also Elder Laboriel who is a member of the Quorum of the Seventy. Before the conference started there was a little meeting for the recent converts and investigators and it was super awesome!!! President Galvez and Sister Galvez talked. President Galvez said there are 5 things that new members need to do, read the scriptures for 5 min. daily, pray at least 5 times a day, have family home evening, fast every month and pay tithing. As missionaries that is our goal with new converts, because if they can do those 5 things constantly than they will be prepared to go to the temple in one year and won’t go inactive. The stake conference was really good too. Elder Laborial gave a really good talk.
So I’m glad to hear that all went well for Nick’s farewell. It’s crazy to think that so much time has passed since my farewell. I’m sure Nick did a great job on his talk and I know that he is going to be an excellent missionary. Just have fun buddy and don’t worry if it’s hard at first, because it’s going to be. Just remember that it’s going to get harder before it gets easier and remember that as a missionary you are going to have special gifts of the spirit and you have the power of faith and prayer on your side! While you are in the MTC I will write to you, so mom please send me his MTC address, and then when you get out into the mission field I will email you, so also mom could you send me his email. Also upload pictures of the farewell and prom.
So since I haven’t written a lot about the people we are teaching I will write a little today. So we found this inactive family, the Bonilla family and they have been inactive for quite some time so we are trying to reactivate them. One of the daughters is living with a guy named Omar and he isn’t a member so we have been teaching them. He is really interested and is reading the Book of Mormon, the only problem is that they aren’t married and he works on Sunday. Something that we want to do with them is take them to the temple, now this is where part of Dad’s consecrated fund could come into hand. I could use some of the money to take families for a trip to the temple. We are allowed to take families to the temple because the spirit is really strong and lots of people get converted right there. Also part of Dad’s fund could help some people get married and something that I would like to do is be able to buy scriptures for the people that I baptize! So those are some things that I was thinking about! We are also teaching a young guy named Jose Luis. He is about 24 and has some member friends in another ward. A couple weeks ago he went to a young adult campout and he loved it. The only challenge we have with him is that he likes to visit his family in the morning on Sunday and so it’s hard to get him to come to church, but we are going to keep working with him. I told you about Alejandra--we are trying to fix a couple problems that the husband has and fortunately the members are willing to help us with this family. We are also working to find new investigators.
Well I love you all and once again I hope mom had a happy Mother’s Day and Nick, get ready to begin the coolest thing you have ever or will probably ever do!!!!!!!!!!!
Love Elder Smith
Please remember in the package you send to incule lots, but lots of family pics. and Dad you can send more talks too, cause I actually do listen to them and I like them too!!!!
NICK I LOVE YOU AND I WILL SEE YOU IN 2 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!